Confusion between sales force and sales force is not uncommon. These are not, to be sure, discordant terms.
But they have their quirks and this needs to be clear from the start.
Companies that manage to sell more and better have, in an efficient way, good sales force management in their businesses. After all, let’s agree.
This is essential for the success of any operation. But what does this term really mean? The question you may be asking yourself right now we’ve answered in this article.
More than that, we will also talk about its categories. And, of course, how you can get the best business results every day.
Stay with us and check it out. Good reading!
After all, what is a sales force?
Sales force is not the same as sales team, as we said at the beginning of the article, but at the same time is. Complicated? We explain.
People committed to the company’s mission, who are proactive in achieving goals and going beyond. Who always seek to produce more, better and seek the best results?
That’s the sales force. Professionals concerned, all the time, with ensuring the client’s success. The commercial team has, of course, its goals and objectives to be achieved.
However, it doesn’t exactly focus on ensuring a customer relationship that is lasting and positive. The term is not something new.
However, with the integration between marketing and sales (marketing), it gained more strength.
Based on stronger information systems, which bring data and provide insights to organizations, sales management becomes much more efficient.
That’s because from lead generation to post-sales, the process is completely revised. And optimized to make more and more sense for the customer.
What is your goal?
In order to be efficient within companies, it is crucial to have clear objectives.
For this, keep in mind that the sales force needs to fulfill its role well, which includes:
- Design the persona (which is different from the ideal customer profile ) and focus efforts to attract customers of this type;
- Define how to communicate with people (and also where) and produce content that attracts people interested in buying. For this, use inbound marketing strategies. They help to generate value to the market and also to a more assertive customer service ;
- Active and efficient prospecting in various channels and also by referring customers happy with your brand;
- Nurturing the generated lead, educating it and making it ready for purchase. This is the job of the pre-sales team;
- Sell in a way that creates value for the customer. Understand your pain so that he can use the solution in the best way possible;
- Conduct follow up and ensure that all steps will be fulfilled in the most assertive manner;
- Taking care of customer success to delight the customer and make him a brand evangelizer. For this, stay in constant communication with him.
Did you understand?
The idea of an efficient sales force is exactly that. But, with processes that are always revised, with feedback meetings, it is possible to go further.
Actions should be aimed at improving CAC and LTV numbers.
The first is related to how much a customer acquired by the company costs.
The second refers to the value he left throughout his entire existence in the company. Furthermore, reducing the sales cycle is another objective that must be pursued.
Being able to sell as quickly as possible, but without running over any stage of the pipeline, generating value for the prospect …
This is, without a doubt, the ideal scenario. And you know it very well.
Structuring the sales force: check your divisions
Before structuring the sales force process, we need to know its categories. It is also crucial to focus on better results.
There is a way to combine all these divisions. Something that will always depend on the company’s type of business.
When this occurs, products and services are taken into account. But also customers and geographic location – both for the company and for the consumers.
The complexity of your sales will define the best model to be adopted. You will test several until you find the one with the best numbers.
The desired scenario? More sales and lower operating costs.
That said, we can divide the sales force into:
Field of action
- Internal. When you can follow the process from prospecting to post-sales. Selling by the inside sales model has, therefore, an advantage over field sales. After all, he is in constant contact with the entire company. This contributes to greater productivity, as it works internally;
- External. – Classic salespeople, who do not deal with sales managers on a daily basis because they are always on the street, visiting customers. Because you need to move, you have greater productivity and can be more costly to the company.
Product and service
If your business has more than one product, you need to move specific teams to work with each one of them.
This trains specialists, which is advantageous to be able to deliver value in customer contact. He will know how to show, in a didactic way, how the product and/or service work exactly.
You will know how to target the right offer for every pain the potential customer may have. On the other hand, the company may be dependent on these professionals.
In case of departure, they will be able to take all the knowledge with them. This will eventually leave a gap until a new one joins.
There is still time on his learning curve until he can handle all the demands of the industry.
Customer wallet and/or profile
For a specific customer profile, a team or a designated professional. If your company sells, for example, insurance.
It is common practice to single out salespeople who will only handle car insurance. Others who will only sell travel insurance – and so on.
Again, in this division it will be possible to create specialists. They will master everything they need to know to convince the customer to buy.
Of course, as long as they act within the company’s mission, vision and values.
Tips for efficient sales force management
The search for improvement is constant. Managers know this well and are restless (after all, they need to be that way).
The processes, as good as they may appear to be, need to undergo frequent revisions. Competition is great.
The market is demanding. And consumers are increasingly wanting more. So, the growth of your business goes through an efficient sales force management.
Therefore, we have separated some tips so that you can always do more and better.
We went deeper into 3 of them, but we cite some others at the end:
1 – Search for internal influencers
How to ensure that what the company has as a guideline is put into practice on a daily basis? A good way to do this is to look for internal influencers on each team.
This will ensure that the actions take place within what the company believes.
They are the ones who, after being instructed, will at their core accelerate knowledge and good practices. It is not necessarily necessary to create a hierarchy among people.
But it is up to managers to see who has more affinity with everyone in the sector. He must be a kind of guardian of what the company needs.
It’s much easier to achieve results this way. Vertically, imposing functions and/or ways of working is more difficult.
2 – Engage teams and people on behalf of the company
The sales force needs engaged people to succeed.
How to deliver better solutions, ensure that the consumer not only stays with the company but also creates a strong relationship with the brand if those who make it happen on a daily basis are unmotivated ?
Putting people ahead of processes is important and generates engagement. And engaged people are always ready to do more and better.
They wear the shirt and this is good for the company. But for that to happen, it is necessary to have a counterpart with benefits, bonuses, promotions.
It is up to managers to agree with their teams what makes sense for both. Obviously, it won’t do any good to spend more than a healthy amount on commissions.
After all, at some point, the account may not close. If this happens, the company may, somehow, not have the necessary gains to continue growing.
3 – Invest in technology
It is strategic – not to say vital – to have technology as an ally. Whether it’s time to generate leads or it’s time to sell. Companies can no longer maintain past habits.
It’s crucial to have technology to deal with increasingly connected customers. Within this reality, managing the sales funnel becomes much more efficient with an Online CRM.
After all, it is the tool that allows full control of all processes. Marketing funnel, pre-sales, sales, proposals, contracts, success… finally.
The truth is, even to hire people you can resort to software. Anything that has processes with well-defined steps can be managed through a good CRM.
As long as it, of course, doesn’t limit the creation of pipelines. In fact, that would be to limit the actions and growth of their businesses.
Ah! Without going that far, we can cite valuable factors such as:
- Investing in quality content to create an image of reference to the market;
- Focus on mobile content and strategies;
- Hire employees who fit the company’s profile;
- Standardize the speech (but without plastering it) with the sales playbook ;
- Between others.
Constantly developing people: that’s what your sales force needs!
We could put this item in the paragraph above, but we decided to pay special attention to people. They are the most valuable assets of companies and need to be extra careful.
In order to have an even better sales force, it is necessary to train those who make the business happen. Investing in team training and development is a strategic issue.
Therefore, it cannot be ignored by anyone who runs any business. It really can’t. Do not ignore.
Courses, trainings, coaching, agile methods … all this serves to give more empowerment to people. And this will be reflected both in the quality of the product or service delivered.
And also in the way it is marketed to the customer. There are professional goals that need to be met. Therefore, qualifying employees is decisive for this.
But there are also personal goals that need to have a paved path for them to be achieved. The motivation of employees is not just a job promotion.
You can go through a pay raise so that he can buy a car. Or take a trip, have children, among others.
Therefore, well-being in the workplace is important and cannot be ignored. A strong organizational culture guarantees this. Make it happen, therefore.
Small actions make a difference
- Setting fair goals. Set collective as well as individual goals. But make sure they are achievable. That way, they won’t frustrate your teams;
- Performance evaluation. It is necessary to analyze the work of the team and also the professional individually. Sometimes the collective goal is not met but the collaborator has done his part. You have to recognize this and not be unfair;
- Career planning. Once the goals are met, value the professional. Maybe a promotion could make sense. Or some salary increase. Analyze what is possible to do. And do it!
- Involve everyone in important decisions – of course the final decision-making must be made by the managers, but make people feel part of the whole. Talk to them about important business issues. This engages and gives an even greater sense of belonging.
These are small actions that can be added to many others. They serve to make your company even stronger.
It works to have trained employees, involved and concerned with what they do. Your company only stands to gain. Make it happen!
So, how can we help you?
Enjoy and read two articles that will help you grow as an entrepreneur.
The first talks about what CRM is and how it helps companies go further.
Understand the value of CRM not only in sales but in processes as a whole.
The second addresses the importance of strategic planning and also how it is possible to do it without a headache.